Dominic Thiem stops three shots from Hubert Hurkacz in the ATP Antwerp match.

Dominic Thiem, a former world No. 3, took another significant stride in the direction of a top-100 comeback. Following a thrilling 3-6, 7-6, 7-6 victory over world no. 11 Hubert Hurkacz in Antwerp, the Austrian is through to his third semi-final of the year!

After two hours and 55 minutes, Dominic survived three match points in the tie break of the second set and won the decisive game. Hurkacz and Thiem tied for first place, but Thiem earned one point more.

The Pole saved both of his break points while serving 17 aces. Nevertheless, it was insufficient to help him win; he squandered his chances in the second set and lost in the tie break of the third and final set. Dominic overcame Hubert’s tiny lead in the longer rallies after he had increased it in the shorter points up to four strokes.

Thiem got off to a sluggish start and lost the match in game two because to a careless forehand. After the opening shot, Hurkacz found a smooth rhythm and sat for the opening serve in game nine.

In Antwerp, Dominic Thiem defeated Hubert Hurkacz by saving three match points.

To earn his first break point, Thiem fired a winning backhand down the line.

With a service winner and a forehand down the line, Hurkacz salvaged it and won 6-3 in 38 minutes. Both players served well in the second set, and there were no break opportunities. Hubert served at 5-6 and won the point with a forehand down the line to force a tie break that Dominic had to win.

Following Thiem’s misplayed volley at 4-4, Hurkacz earned a mini-break and two match points with a powerful serve. The Austrian saved the second after a fortunate net cord winner, while the Pole missed the first with a forehand mistake.

Hurkacz generated the third match point at 8-7 after saving a set point at 6-7 with a serve winner. With a backhand error, he wasted it and prevented another set point at 8-9. At 10-9, Dominic converted the third set point at the net with a volley winner to force a deciding.

At the beginning of the final set, Hurkacz saved a break point, and they both served effectively in the ensuing six games. In game eight, Dominic saved a break chance with a forehand winner to tie the match at 4-4 after two and a half hours.

To set up the decisive tie break, both players earned comfortable holds in the final four games. Thiem took the lead 3-1 with a thunderous backhand down the line return winner before building a 5-2 edge with a serve victory.

At 4-6, Hurkacz fended off two set chances before Thiem won the third with a forehand winner down the line, sending him into the semifinals.